Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Natural Sciences Museum

Giant Sea turtle 





Dragonfly Fossil 



The dinosaur footprints, bones and the Saber toothed tiger all have one main thing in common. They are extinct. Also, all three animals are huge in comparison to us. My feet are miniature compared to the dinosaur's! All three things are meant to be studied; we are meant to learn something from them. They
all seem to have a scientific purpose. Upon analyzing the objects I realized that they displayed a very science orientated relationship between homo sapiens and the animals in the Natural Science Museum. All of the objects outside of the museum were things that we don't know much about; therefore they fascinate us. Likewise, the objects inside the museum evoke this human fascination with things of the past. On the first floor I observed the giant sea turtle. It was a partial skeleton from the cretaceous period. On the third floor I observed the Prehistoric and modern day dragonflies. I learned that the older dragonflies had a large wingspan due to the difference in respiratory biology between the older and modern day dragonflies. When I climbed the steps to the fourth floor the whale skeletons caught my eye. I took notes on the skull of Rodhocetus which was from a 47.5 million year old whale. After looking at all of these things I began to consider what my spirit animal would think if I had embodied the turtle at that moment. I assumed it would feel the same way I would if I was looking in on human remains in glass cases. The animal specimens are depicted on in an objective, scientific manner. This can tell us something about the relationship between animals and homosapiens. To many people animals are just another scientific thing to study. In the future I expect that we will continue to be fascinated with things from the past. I only hope that in the future we will still have the animal species that we have today. I hope we will not have destroyed them causing us to be searching and attempting to explain the remaining specimens as scientists have done in the Natural Science Museum.

Pictures of the Rodhocetus (whale skull) 

No comments:

Post a Comment