Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

Sympathetic Imagination

Humane is defined as, "Marked by sympathy with and consideration for the needs and distresses of others; feeling or showing compassion and tenderness towards human beings and the lower animals; kind, benevolent" (anthology 418B). The man in the story from the Anthology Rick Bass was a prime example of what it means to be humane. He had compassion for the animals and rescued the poor stray dogs and even came back three times in order to rescue the second one. He then took them home and took care of them. The dogs returned the favor through unconditional loyalty and love. "People pull their punches, refer to dogs' love with words such as loyalty, obedience, or even submissiveness, but it is love"(anthology 430). This a touching example of the relationship between pet and owner, especially when the owner looks upon the animal with compassion and rescues them from a horrible situation.

This story reminds me of when we rescued our cat, Pancake, after she had been run over by a car. The person who hit her with the car just left her to die and she was badly injured when we found her. We decided to try and save her so we took her to the vet. She is perfectly fine and happy now living with us! She is a little timid but she is the sweetest cat I have ever met and I bet she is very grateful that we chose to save her life. It is the humane thing to do to try and save desperate animals lives. That is why I enjoy writing the craigslist ads so much. I was just informed that another one of my dogs was adopted and that is the best feeling. Knowing that I was able to save a life makes it so worth the effort! 
Most recent dog I wrote a craigslist ad about. I had a tough time finding a family to adopt her. I wrote 4 different ads and almost gave up hope but on the last day before we pulled her from craigslist she got an adoption application!

No comments:

Post a Comment