Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Craigslist ads for APA


Craigslist ads for Jeremiah: 

Quick! Look here! Chow dog put on kill list!

Due to recent hospitalization of his owner, Jeremiah was placed at the town lake animal shelter...but he is running out of time! Jeremiah is incredibly gentle and sweet! He is great with adults, kids, and other dogs, but not so friendly with cats. He passed all of the shelters evaluations and we have witnessed for ourselves his sweet disposition! Poor Jeremiah has been put on the kill list due to circumstances that he cannot control! Jeremiah is a gorgeous dog and he is just in need of a little grooming! No one took the time to take care of his fur so he has very painful looking mats in it. Someone needs to come rescue this poor dog! Only one year old, he is an awesome dog and doesn't deserve to die because of his owner's hospitalization!

If you want to adopt Jeremiah you MUST come to Town Lake Animal Center by 6:30pm Wednesday! He is in Kennel 243 A585166. There will be a medical eval done before adoption can be confirmed. Town Lake is open 11:30-7 weekdays and 11:30-5 weekends.


Revision:

 Help! Chow dog in need of adoption! Put on kill list!

Due to recent hospitalization of his owner, Jeremiah was placed at the town lake animal shelter...but he is running out of time! Jeremiah is incredibly gentle and sweet! He is great with adults, kids, and other dogs, but not so friendly with cats. He passed all of the shelters evaluations and we have witnessed for ourselves his sweet disposition! Poor Jeremiah has been put on the kill list due to circumstances that he cannot control! Jeremiah is a gorgeous dog and he is just in need of a little grooming! No one took the time to take care of his fur so he has very painful looking mats in it. Someone needs to come rescue this poor dog! Only one year old, he is an awesome dog and doesn't deserve to die because of his owner's hospitalization!

If you want to adopt Jeremiah you MUST come to Town Lake Animal Center by 6:30pm Wednesday! He is in Kennel 243 A585166. There will be a medical eval done before adoption can be confirmed. Town Lake is open 11:30-7 weekdays and 11:30-5 weekends.

Craigslist ads for Dante the lab: 

Urgent! Lab in need of a good home!

This beautiful lab dog was surrendered by his owner due to financial difficulties and needs a new home! It is so unfair for him to suffer because his owner could no longer take care of him! He is a gorgeous dog with a very calm and tender disposition. He is gentle and sweet with all people and dogs but not always so great with cats. This adorable 7 year old lab is missing his family! He is whining and crying all of the time and looking towards the parking lot because he wants to be taken away from the shelter. He is constantly looking for his old family, wanting them to come back...how sad! He is in need of a new loving family! Won't you come adopt him?

If you want to adopt this sweet dog you must come to Town lake by no later
than 6:30pm on Wednesday! He is in Kennel 119 A477918. A medical eval will
be done before adoption can be confirmed. Town Lake is open from 11:30-7
weekdays and 11:30-5 weekends.


Quick! Look here! Lab needs to be adopted!

A gorgeous and lovable lab dog was surrendered by his owner due to financial difficulties! How unfair for him to suffer because of circumstances beyond his control! He is very sweet and gentle and gets along well with people and dogs alike. However, he does not get along well with other cats. This incredibly sweet 7 year old male lab is missing his family so much! He is constantly seen whining and looking towards the parking lot searching for his previous owner. How sad! He really needs a wonderful new family to adopt him. Won’t you come adopt him??

If you want to adopt this sweet dog you must come to Town lake by no later
than 6:30pm on Wednesday! He is in Kennel 119 A477918. A medical eval will
be done before adoption can be confirmed. Town Lake is open from 11:30-7
weekdays and 11:30-5 weekends.

APA Reflection:


When I first started this project, I had no idea that the dogs whose lives I would attempt to save would have such a huge impact on me. When I first walked in to Town Lake Animal Shelter I had no idea what to expect. I didn’t know very much about what Patty Alexander, an APA employee and Town Lake Animal Center volunteer, did nor did I know much about the dogs that she worked with. Upon entering the shelter I was taken back at the amount of animals they keep there. There are rows and rows of kennels filled with dogs of all different kinds. Patty led me to one cage in particular and pointed out a dog that she said we were going to try and save. I expected the dogs that were put on the kill list to be savage. I expected them to have horrible behavioral problems and be uncared for or mean. However, this was not the case. I learned that a large majority of the dogs that have to be put down are actually good dogs, they just don’t get adopted. I also learned that the majority of the animals at the shelter are owner surrender. That means that their owners gave them up either because they could not care for them or because they no longer wanted the animals. Patty told me that most people do not know that Town Lake Animal Shelter is not a no kill shelter, therefore they leave their dogs there assuming they will be taken care of and adopted. After I was introduced to Jeremiah, a gorgeous one-year-old chow, we lead him to a grassy area where we played fetch and assessed his behavior. Jeremiah’s story was especially heart wrenching for me because his owner was hospitalized leaving no one to take care of Jeremiah. The unfair circumstances that caused Jeremiah to end up in the shelter made such an impact on me that I rushed home that night to write my first craigslist ad. I got no response after my first posting that night but after reposting the ad the next morning I got an email from someone interested in adopting the dog. Later that day Patty emailed me saying I could take off my craigslist ad because, thankfully, Jeremiah had been adopted. I was ecstatic. I was so happy that I was able to make a difference, even if it was only in the life of one dog.
After such a success I am always excited to go back to the shelter and receive my next assignment. I view each dog as a challenge and my goal is to get him or her adopted. Looking back to the beginning of this project I did not expect to be as involved as I am now. I expected to go visit a dog or two, write my blogs, turn them in and that would be the end of it. Instead, I have become a part of a rescue effort to save animals from undeserved death. Every time I walk into the shelter and greet the members of the Austin Pets Alive team I develop even more respect for what they do. It is not an easy task to walk by and interact with dogs that you know might not be there tomorrow. It is especially difficult when you get to know one animal, try to save their life and fail. Not all of my ads have had the success that Jeremiah’s did, but every adoption is such a blessing that it motivates me to keep trying. I believe that there is no better way to learn something than to get out and experience it yourself. No matter how much we talked about APA or animal cruelty in class, the lasting affect comes from getting involved and experiencing those things for your self. I am so glad that this class gave me the opportunity to be a part of an organization that works for such a noble cause. Most people don’t realize what is going on in animal shelters today and they unknowingly drop their dogs off at their doors. The conditions that the animals have to live in are horrible and unfair. These animals cannot speak for themselves and if we don’t help them, who will? 


Word Count: 
Blogs for Jeremiah: 364
Blogs for Dante: 339
Craigslist Blog total: 703
Reflection: 721
Totat P2 project: 1,426

No comments:

Post a Comment